Welcome to Tami's Page

“Cooking is like love, it should be entered into with abandon or not at all.”
- Harriet Van Horne, Vogue 10/1956

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Chili - And Could You Make It Like Mom's

When I was first married if I heard it once I heard it 10 times...."This is not like my mom's!"  Oh what I would give if I had a $1 for every time I heard that.  But looking back, my chili was not like Pat's moms.  In fact it wasn't anything even close.  After all who ever heard of putting rice and potatoes in chili?  Several years later a gal by the name of Betty Eccleston brought some chili to my classroom in Anaconda.  Hold the phone...it had rice and potatoes in it.  Now Pat's mom is from Anaconda too.....hmmmm.  No I do not think it is an Anaconda "thing." What I think it was, was families trying to stretch a meal back in the day to feed many hungry mouths.  So to this day I make the chili using Mrs. Eccleston's recipe.  Betty said as times changed so did her recipe....no more tsp of chili powder or cumin or garlic powder. Just use Taco Seasoning "after all it has all the same stuff in it just don't have to measure."

Mrs. Eccleston's Chili
1 pound burger
1/2 cup diced onion
2 cans of red or pinto beans
1 15 oz Tomato Sauce
1 Pkg of Taco Mix (I use Taco Bell)
small bit of Rice - OK I have to measure and I use 1/8 cup
1-2 small potatoes diced - remember not too many this isn't potato soup

Brown the burger and onion.  Add all other ingredients and 2 cans of water.  Simmer for 1 hour.  Top with cheese and whatever else you like.  Now depending on the type of Taco Mix the color will vary.

No comments:

Post a Comment